Other Hangouts

Monday 23 March 2009

The Smell Of Earth & The Sun On My Face

Yes, its planting time again down on our allotment. I love the smell of the earth, and the promise of warmer days to come, as the tentative sun is now starting to peep through the clouds. Despite my sore back, mud grimed hands and sweating brow, I felt empowered and satisfied by a few good days digging, weeding and sowing. I love our allotment, its something hubby and I do togeather, it's ''our special thing'. ' This year apart from the usual crops we thought we would go for something different and so also prepared some ground for growing sweetcorn. Ive also decided to grow rhubarb, you just can't beat rhubarb crumble and custard!

We also spruced up our garden at home, and replanted tubs, baskets and troughs. The fish in the pond are becoming more active and eating for England, and the local bird life is going into full twittering mode. I also spied a rabbit prancing around in the field behind us, and two pheasants were squalling out there as well earlier in the day. The other night I heard the foxes coughing barks out back as well (It's so difficult to describe the sound they make), and I wondered if they have cubs? Though I have caught sight of the adult foxes many times, especially at twilight when I have thrown the carcass remains of a roast over for them, Ive never seen evidence of any cubs, not for the last couple of years. I'm ever hopeful. Don't you just love Spring and the advent of early Summer?

I was lucky enough to have been given a gift of 'The Druid Craft Tarot', with it's beautiful artwork on the cards, and so have been spending some time' studying it. Ive' also been reading various interesting literature on the theory of a possible connection between quantum physics and psychic phenomena and clairvoyancy. It's intriguing stuff, and thought provoking. I haven't been drawing much at all over the winter, but rather doing a lot of reading and listening to music. I can feel the inspiration bubbling and brewing just below the surface though. Life, and the stirrings of nature after the long winter sleep, does that to you.

No comments: